Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nothing Tastes Better Than My BROCCOLI SOUP!

When you love a certain food or meal enough for it to become tradition, you must share it with the people in your life that you love. When I (Paul) was a little boy, my grandmother (Bubby) would make endless amounts of these delicious foods. One of my favorites was a creamy broccoli soup that was pretty healthy considering the alternatives. My brother, cousins and I loved it so much that we coined a little jingle for it every time we delighted in its savory goodness, and that catchy tune goes a little something like this..."Broccoli Soup. Broccoli Soup. Nothing tastes better than my Broccoli Soup!" Do not be mistaken, this classic tune has not been retired to some dusty shelf, in fact I sing it for Paula each and every time I make the soup... usually followed by the explanation that it was probably much cuter when I was five years old. In any case, I guarantee that once you taste this soup, it won't be long before you are singing its praises too..

INGREDIENTS

1 large bunch of fresh broccoli
1/2 cup of reserved broccoli water
1/4 cup of milk
3 tbsps butter
1/3 cup of flour
14 ounce can of chicken broth
12 ounce can of evaporated milk
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
parmesan to taste

1. Steam the fresh broccoli until tender.

2. Put 1/2 cup of the water the broccoli was steamed in, the broccoli and 1/4 cup of milk in a blender and blend until smooth.

3. Melt the butter in a pot on low to medium-low heat and whisk in the flour. Whisk in the chicken broth until the mixture is smooth without any lumps.

4. Add the blended broccoli mixture and continue to whisk. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and evaporated milk (add milk as desired depending on how creamy you like it).

5. Let the soup cook on low heat for about half an hour while whisking intermittently.

6. Serve warm and add parmesan on top.

7. Enjoy!

Happy Tasting,

Paul/a






No comments:

Post a Comment